765368A / 765668S
Time Series Analysis in Astronomy
an intermediate & advanced course (6 credits)
at the Astronomy Division, University of Oulu
The course period January 25 – March 24, 2016
Lectures, and exercise and practical sessions take place on Monday at 12-14 and Thursday at 10-12 in TÄ 219
The course is lectured in English
Teacher: Vitaly Neustroev, TÄ 218, ph. 5531930, vitaly.neustroev [at] oulu.fi
- Time Series Analysis: Methods for evenly sampled data
- Time Series Analysis: Methods for unevenly sampled data
- Timing methods in Optical and X-ray Astronomy
- Timing features in Optical and X-ray Astronomy
Theoretical and practical considerations will be supplemented with the home exercises which constitute the important part of the course.
- Fourier Analysis of Time Series: An Introduction (2nd edition – 2000) – P. Bloomfield: ISBN: 978-0-471-88948-9
- Asteroseismology (2010) – C. Aerts, J. Christensen-Dalsgaard, D. W. Kurtz: ISBN: 978-1-4020-5178-4
- Fourier techniques in X-ray timing (1988) – M. van der Klis: can be downloaded from here
- Fourier Analysis with Unequally-Spaced Data (1975) – T. J. Deeming: can be downloaded from here
- Astronomical Time Series Analysis: Lecture Notes – Jaan Pelt: can be downloaded from here
- Lecture 1: January 25: Introduction (Time Series, Light Curves, Time, Frequency, Phase, Ephemeris)
PDF * Light Curve
- Lecture 2: January 28: Continuous and Discrete Fourier transforms, Power Density Spectrum.
- Exercise session: February 1:
- Exercise session: February 4:
- Lecture 3: February 8: Power Density Spectrum. Leahy normallization.
PDF * Poisson data * Light Curve (eclipses) * Light Curve (sin)
- Lecture 4: February 11: Statistics of Power Spectra.
PDF * Conf.zip * Viewer * Real Data 1
- Lecture 5: February 18: Statistics of Power Spectra (cont). Useful tips.
- Lecture 6: February 22: Spectral Analysis with Unevenly-Spaced Data. Discrete Fourier Transform. Lomb-Scargle periodogram.
PDF * Paper (Deeming) * Lomb-Scargle Win * Lomb-Scargle Src * Test Data
- Lecture 7: February 29: Spectral Analysis with Unevenly-Spaced Data. Combined analysis of power spectra. Dealing with Aliases. CLEAN algorithm.
PDF * Paper (Sturrock)
- Lecture 8 (self-study): March 3: Spectral Analysis with Unevenly-Spaced Data. Non-parametric Frequency Analysis Methods.
- Lecture 9: March 14: Spectral Analysis with Unevenly-Spaced Data. Comparison of PDM and the LS method.
PDF (same file)
- Lecture 10: March 17: Time Series Analysis in the Time Domain. Cross-Correlation. Autocorrelation. O-C Diagram.
- Lecture 11: March 21: Conclusion.
- Exercise session: March 24:
Data for practical work.
- Exercise session: April 4
- Exercise session: April 7
- Final exercise session: April 11